Did you know? September is Healthy Aging Month! Now more than ever, older adults are taking control of their physical, mental, emotional, spiritual, and financial well-being. It is never too late to start something new! We have put together a list of five easy ways to get a jumpstart on your overall health and wellness.
5 Tips for Improving Your Overall Health and Wellness:
- Interact with others. We know that isolation is one of the biggest hurdles of growing older. Stay involved by volunteering your time with a beloved organization or inviting someone to meet for a meal. Residents at Kirkwood are not only socially engaged with one another, but they also are heavily involved in the Birmingham community! Nurturing your social connections with friends and family is one way to improve your overall health.
- Move your body. Regular, low-intensity exercise keeps your joints and muscles strong and flexible, and it can also lead to sharper memory, more energy, and better sleep. At Kirkwood, we offer a variety of weekly exercise classes and encourage residents to take in the outdoors on our beautiful walking trails.
- Smile! Research has shown that surrounding yourself with positive people of all ages will make you happier, too. Not only can good oral hygiene make your teeth sparkle and shine, but it is also a gateway to your overall wellbeing. As the mouth is the entryway to the digestive system and respiratory tracts, keeping out harmful bacteria through proper oral hygiene can improve the body’s resistance to infection in the heart, lungs, and gastrointestinal tracts.
- Set up your physical and other health screenings. Regular check-ups can prevent long-term complications and ease the anxiety of health concerns. With onsite nurses and physical therapists, a local Medical Director, monthly podiatry visits, and more, Kirkwood is committed to our residents’ preventative health measures. If you are overdue for a visit to the doctor, now is the time to give them a call.
- Learn something new. Take a class you’ve always wanted to take or engage in a local lecture series. Learn to play a new card game or put together a puzzle. Keeping your mind active is just as important as moving your body. Looking for somewhere to start? Find ample opportunities to learn new things through Kirkwood’s life-enriching program calendars, found here.